Last December, I wrote a review on Panergy’s icWord and icExcel, two applications that I believe EVERY Macintosh owner should have – Even those who own Microsoft Office! as they allow quick and easy access to Word, Excel and AppleWorks documents, without huge system requirements. At the time I gave them a rating of “9 out of 10” and stated that the only reason they lost a point was because they didn’t have a carbonized version.
Well, now they do! Panergy have just released icWord 2.1 and icExcel v1.1 with native Mac OS X support.
What’s new in icWord 2.1
Apart from its’ Mac OS X native support, icWord 2.1 also includes the following enhancements;
- “Floating over Text” graphics now appear in the correct place.
- Full support of graphics when importing or exporting in RTF and AppleWorks.
- Text in tables is now exported in the Text Export.
- A series of new preferences, including the ability to set icWord as your default application for handling the downloading via web or email of Word documents.
- Contextual menu support and improved keyboard shortcuts.
What’s new in icExcel 1.1
Obviously icExcel 1.1 works natively under Mac OS X, but there are a few new enhancements including;
- A preference for making icExcel the default application to open Excel files when downloading from the internet – be that by Web or Email.
- You now have the option to save as RTF
- There is better font substitution
- Improved navigation with keyboard shortcuts
Downloading icWord and icExcel
If you are a current owner of icWord 2.0 or icExcel 1.0, and haven’t heard from Panergy with details on the free upgrades, then email Panergy and supply them with your name and the appropriate serial number.
If you have waited until carbonized versions were released, you can purchase them for US$19.95, or the special bundle of both for US$29.95 is still available.
You can download a 30 day trail copy of each application.
With icWord, you have two download options – One for Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS X 9.x and Mac OS X; the other is for Mac OS 7.1 through to Mac OS 8.5.
download icWord demo »
With icExcel, you have three download options – The first is for Mac OS X, the second supports Mac OS 8.6 and Mac OS 9.x, while the last option is for Mac OS 7.1 through to Mac OS 8.5.
download icExcel demo »
A copy of this article, with colour images, is available from my website, https://www.nicholaspyers.com.
Interested in reprinting this article? Any non-profit Apple Macintosh User Group (MUG) may re-print, free of charge, any of the articles written by Nicholas Pyers found at https://www.nicholaspyers.com/articles. There are just a couple of conditions, which basically boil down to letting us know – for the full terms and conditions, please visit https://www.nicholaspyers.com/reprints.